Sacrament of Confirmation
Baptism, the Eucharist, and the sacrament of Confirmation together constitute the “sacraments of Christian initiation,” whose unity must be safeguarded. It must be explained to the faithful that the reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. For “by the sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed.” (1)
Preparation for Confirmation should aim at leading the Christian toward a more intimate union with Christ and a more lively familiarity with the Holy Spirit – his actions, his gifts, and his biddings – in order to be more capable of assuming the apostolic responsibilities of Christian life. To this end catechesis for Confirmation should strive to awaken a sense of belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ, the universal Church as well as the parish community. the latter bears special responsibility for the preparation of confirmands. (2)
(1) Catechism of the Catholic Church [hereafter CCC], 2nd ed. (Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls, 2000), n. 1285.
(2) CCC, n. 1309.
Confirmation at St. Lambert
High school-aged teens seeking the Sacrament of Confirmation must have completed one year of religious education immediately prior to their sacramental year, either through the parish or parochial school, and should be attending religious education classes. They should have also received the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Communion.
Preparation is experienced over six months through small group sessions, retreats, service and time spent with sponsors.
Confirmation classes are scheduled by Ellen Bauman. If you have questions, Ellen can be reached by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605-338-4728.
Confirmation Classes will be held on the following Sundays in the Gym:
- September 10th from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- October 8th from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- October 21st – Youth Rally in Brookings, SD
- November 12th from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- December 10th from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- January 7th from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Final Preparation for Confirmation will be on January 27th from 10:00am to Noon at St Lambert.
Bishop Swain will celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation on January 28th, 2018 at 1:30 PM at the Cathedral of St Joseph
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the age for confirmation?
A minimum age of 16 has been established by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee for the celebration of confirmation.
Who can serve as a confirmation sponsor?
A person who is serving as a confirmation sponsor must:
– be designated by the one to be confirmed;
– be 16 years old;
– be a Catholic who has been confirmed and who has received the sacrament of Eucharist and leads a life in harmony with the faith and role to be undertaken;
– not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
– not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
How can I request a Letter of Good Standing?
To obtain a Letter of Good Standing from St. Lambert Parish please contact the Parish Office to request.